Friday 8 July 2011

OMG ... Face to Face with a Bearrrrrrrrrr!

This was definitely one of the more scary moments of my life!!!

There are signs up here in Camperland where I have been staying announcing bear sightings.  While one generally thinks this is not a good thing, it doesn't hamper one's enjoyment of all that "camping" offers! ;-)

Well, let me tell you a story ...     

I was walking a bag of garbage down to the garbage bin a couple of days ago - it wasn't too far down the road and there were lots of rv's closeby in their sites.  I was just about to drop the garbage into the container when I spotted a medium-sized brown bear lumbering over the crest of the hill !!  OMG!!!  I dropped the bag of garbage and started backing up the hill slowly ... I knew enough not to run!  What I was most fearful of was the group of young children I saw coming up the road from the opposite direction.  I didn't know if the bear had seen me so I didn't want to yell at the kids to stay back so I just waved frantically and pointed to the bear.  They too retreated the other way!

I don't know how much the bear enjoyed my bag of garbage because quite frankly I picked up quite the pace walking backwards up the hill to our rv. 

It's funny ... I didn't realize how scared I was until I got back into the rv and sat down.  I was shaking from head to foot.

I feel so sorry for these poor bears.  There has been so much building of campsites here in the new section of Camperland and what used to be their habitat has now been replaced with gravel and rv's. 

All's well that ends well ... but it sure was scary while it was happening!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment