Thursday 6 October 2011

I'm Confused ... and saddened!

Three of my grandchildren - 2 boys age 11 and 1 girl age 12 - are enrolled in hockey.  This is THE year kids playing hockey can hit and use physical means to get the puck or I guess to stop an opposing team's player who has the misfortune of getting in the way!

One of my grandsons has not had a lot of experience playing hockey and is a little smaller than some of the other children.  He has such determination to play hockey and to be the best he can be.  I heard from my daughter this morning that my dear little boy took quite a beating last night during his hockey game and ended up being hurt and bleeding at the hands of an opposing team member!  Credit to him, he has not lost his determination to play hockey.

What I don't understand is why we spend so much time and effort and money on having people come into our schools to speak on the topic of bullying!  I think bullying is appalling and efforts to help curtail this in schools and workplaces etc. should be in full force.

I just don't get it ... how is it that when children are in school they face strict consequences when bullying takes place - yet, when they come home from school they strap those skates on and hit the ice to play hockey with physical contact in mind and having been given a license that says "I can now hit!"

I'm confused ... what does this do to a child?

Reminds me of that "joke" - 'I went to a fight and a hockey game broke out!'

I just don't get it!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment