Friday 6 July 2012

Bearded Lizard

I have just finished making this for my grandson, Austin.  He is super crazy about reptiles and actually has two geckos which he loves. 

I started out by sketching the lizard onto fabric that had already been prepared for inking/painting (PDF) and then using Tsukinenko inks proceeded to "paint" him.  I wet the areas that I wanted to work in with a brush and water - another method is to use Aloe Vera as the base instead of water.  I then brushed the watered down inks all over and just let it do its own thing by allowing the colours to bleed into one another.  I did the same with the background fabric too.

After the inking was completed, I then free motioned all of the lizard scales - a tedious job, but it made "Larry" come alive!  I then stretched and mounted this onto an 18" x 24" canvas.

My grandson was so pleased when I presented it to him and immediately wanted his Mom to hang it up in his bedroom which made me smile!

I also took this into our guild meeting last week and was very happy to receive such wonderful comments.  They were so thrilled with this new art media that they have asked me to teach a workshop in the use of Tsukinenko inks, which I am delighted to do for our members.

No comments:

Post a Comment